History of TIC
Department of Research and Innovation (DRI) was founded on the 22nd of September 1947 under the name of the State Industrial Research Institute (SIRI).
Technical Information Center (TIC) was founded on the 10th December of 1948. TIC started at No.521, Merchant Street, Yangon. It is at the corner of 38th Street and Merchant Street and only a few yards away from Sarpay Beikman.
TIC was shifted from No.521, Merchant Street to No.1, Kanbe Road (now, the
Directorate of Investment and Company Administration). On the 28th of June 1955.TIC was inaugurated by the Industrial Minister with a collection of 3,000 books.
Again TIC was shifted from No.1, Kanbe Road to No.6, Kaba Aye Pagoda Road in 1964. The ground floor area of block A and B which amounts to a total area of 10296 square feet houses the TIC.
The first librarian of TIC is U Zin Maung. He was founder of TIC. He was sent to USA to study library science in the University of Chicago. There he got his Master degree in Library Science.. Now a day, holdings of T.I.C are as follows: text books, newsletter, pamphlets, trade catalogue and reports are 27972 books. Periodical titles and the numbers of issues of periodicals are 1368 and 84917 items.
The head librarians of TIC handed over their duties as follows:
|Sr. No.||Name||Qualifications||Year of|
|Joining TIC||Leaving TIC|
|1.||U Zin Maung (Founder)||B.Sc., M.A. (University of Chicago||1954||1970|
|2.||U Zaw Pe||B.Sc., B.L.||1954||1989|
|3.||Daw Ngwe Than||B.Sc., M.S. (University of Columbia)||1957||1989|
|4.||U Ba Htwe||G.T.I. (Electrical)||1976||1980|
|5.||U Zaw Pe||B.Sc., B.L.||1984||1989|
|6.||Daw Than Swe||B.Sc., D.L.S.||1959||1994|
|7.||U Sein Pan||B.Sc., D.L.S.||1970||1997|
|8.||U Hla Win||B.Sc., D.L.S.||1975||1998|
|9.||Daw Win Win||B.Sc (Chem.), D.L.S., D.C.Sc., M.I.S.C., M.L.I.S., M.Res.||1992||2006|
|10.||Daw Mya Mya Htay||B.Sc. (Bot.), D.L.S., M.L.I.S.||1980||2014|
|11.||Daw Nwe Nwe Aung||B.Sc. (Phys.), D.L .S., D.C.Sc., M.L.I.S., M.Res.||1990||To date|
To build up the library collection with a much more modern and up to date issues of books, journals, CD-ROMS and to give services to the public with harmonious usage of the two notes namely information technology and library science.
Technical Information Center is a special library for studying and getting information on science and technical subjects.
Services & Consulting
Technical Information Center (TIC) is one of the technical supporting department. It is capable of providing information technology to university, colleges, post-graduate candidates, matser and Ph.D candidates, technical management personnel, scientists, researchers, government department and other organizations.
The motto of TIC is “A Symbol of Service to Research“.
Functions of the library
- Circulating the monthly list of new books added to T.I.C. to the research departments of DRI.
- Information retrieval from the periodicals and teaching the researchers and the M.Sc, Ph.D. students to use abstracts and indexes.
- Long or short information are retrieved from References & Text books.
- Nuclear Information Service is given by INIS CD-ROMS.
- Research Reports of different departments of DRI are registered and are prepared for indexing.
- Ten computers have been installed in e-library and doing tasks such as data entry of books and periodicals into database server every day.
- Moreover, scanning books and writing CD services have been done by scanners which are donated by India.
- Besides the above functions the traditional works are doing collection, classification, cataloguing, circulation, information and cleaning the library every day.
On 22nd August 1995, Myanmar has become the 92nd member states of INIS (International Nuclear Information System). TIC acts as focal point namely Myanmar INIS Section. U Hla Win is the first INIS Liaison Officer. So every year Myanmar INIS Section sends nuclear research literature to INIS. INIS collects the information from member states and provides it via CD-ROM to students who wanted to know worldwide literature.
Research/ work accomplishment
- Regional Union Catalogue of scientific serials : Rangoon -1977
- Index on Research Reports of Myanma Scientific and Technological Research Development, vol. (1) – 1996
- Index on Research Reports of Myanma Scientific and Technological Research Development, vol. (2) – 2012
- Index on Research Reports of Department of Research and Innovation, vol. (3) – 2017
- Research Reports of different departments of DRI are registered and prepared for indexing
စက်မှုပညာြပန်ကြားရေးဌာနတွင် လုပ်ငန်းနယ်ပယ်အလိုက် ဆက်စပ်ဖွဲ့စည်းထားရှိမည့် ဌာနခွဲ များနှင့် လူအင်အားအြေခပြဇယား မှာ အောက်ပါအတိုင်းဖြစ်ပါသည်။
Name : Daw Nwe Nwe Aung
Position : Assistant Director
Education : B.Sc (Physis), Diplomar in Library Science, D.C.Sc, Master in Library and Information Studies, Master of Research.
Technical Information Center (TIC) is one of the technical supporting departments. It is capable of providing information technology to university, colleges, post-graduate candidates, master and Ph.D candidates, technical management personnel, scientists, researchers, government department and other organizations.
Daw Nwe Nwe Aung
Technical Information Center, DRI